DURATION: 45 min
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 10 To 12
AGE: 9 To 18 years old
LEVEL OF TRUST: Medium
LEVEL OF PARTICIPATION: High
LEVEL OF LEVEL_OF_PREPARATION: No
INSTRUCTIONS: No preparation needed.
Football3 is a method of playing sports in three halves (pre-match discussion, football match, post-match discussion).
1. Introduce the difference between Football3 and a standard football game (special rules, three halves, importance of values, role of mediator, no judge)
2. Pre – match discussion: Set the rules (3-5 special rules that tackle social issues; e.g. increasing female engagement) with both groups of youngsters; they have to agree on them together. Divide youngsters into 2 groups. Teams are mixed-gender.
3. Start the match, which is usually shorter (between 10 and 20 minutes). Players are responsible for their match and for complying with the rules that they agreed on. The street worker monitors the match and intervenes (as a mediator) only if the two teams cannot agree and resolve an issue.
4. Post-match discussion. Players reflect on how they respected the rules, the behaviour of the team players, ….
MATERIALS: Ball, pitch (e.g. 40 x 20m or smaller), two goals (or something that can be used as a goal), match sheet
COMMENTS, TIPS & TRICKS: 1. Start with max 3–5 special rules so you can add more of them later on
2. You can agree on fixed set of rules which are obligatory