DURATION: 120 To 420 min
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 5 To 30
AGE: 10 To 29 years old
LEVEL OF TRUST: Low
LEVEL OF PARTICIPATION: Medium
LEVEL OF LEVEL_OF_PREPARATION: Yes
TOPIC: creative + culture
There are two ways to organize a graffiti jam. First, we can use legal areas for graffiti. Second, we can use stretch foil wrapped between two trees or pillars.
- Choose the artist (peer, volunteer, graffiti artist)
- Choose the place and date of the event
- Gather all the materials (purchase sprays/foils/latex paint/ protective equipment, create the informational leaflets, ...)
- Promote the event – face to face, facebook, instagram, leaflets, ...
Preparation of the activity:
- Paint the latex paint on the wall and let the paint dry, or use the stretch foil
- Prepare all of the materials (papers, writing accessories, protective equipment, sprays, informational materials, ...)
During the activity:
- Throughout the event, participants can be informed by the worker about legal and illegal forms of graffiti (interviews, leaflets, informational banners, ...).
- Inform the participants about the whole course of the event. Set out some simple rules (design on the paper first; use one spray at a time and if you want to use another colour you have to replace the spray; don't paint over others people's graffiti)
- The designs should be done on the paper first, then the participants can make implement their own designs on the wall or stretch foil.
After the activity:
- Reflection with the participants (what news and information I got about the legal and illegal graffiti and vandalism, how I see the activity..).
- Cleaning up (but if you chose a legal wall, leave the graffiti there).
. Place to make the legal graffiti and latex paint + paint roller or plastic stretch foil
2. Graffiti sprays
3. Protective equipment: gloves, industrial grade dust masks
4. Papers and writing accessories
5. Informational materials about graffiti and legal/nonlegal spraying in your country
6. Informational materials about your organization or street work initiative
COMMENTS, TIPS & TRICKS:
You can organize the Graffiti Jam as a single event or as part of a larger event.
You can address and inform the general public through it.
Make sure that spraying on the stretch foil is permitted in your country (before the event).