DURATION: 30 min
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 5
AGE: 10 To 29 years old
LEVEL OF TRUST: Medium
LEVEL OF PARTICIPATION: Medium
LEVEL OF LEVEL_OF_PREPARATION: No
TOPIC: group + communication
INSTRUCTIONS: This activity is based on using music to express your feelings or opinions.
● The street worker invites participants to pick a song that expresses:
○ how they feel,
○ how their day has been so far, or
○ how they are doing today.
● Each participant then has an opportunity to find a song on the internet and play it for the others – not saying anything about their emotions.
● Other participants guess how the person is feeling and what they are trying to express.
● Whoever guessed right gets to pick the next song.
MATERIALS: Bluetooth speaker, phone/device to access the internet
COMMENTS, TIPS & TRICKS: The activity can be used to express different topics that young people are interested in at the moment. It can give you a clue about what is going on – if something important is happening within the group, participants can use the songs to express how they feel about it.
Their choice of song can uncover and bring out other topics which are important to them.
Participants can stop the songs or choose not to play the whole song. The street worker can also instruct the participants to pick a shorter song or play just a part of the song.
It can be encouraging if the street worker starts with their song first, to show the participants the way.